Friday 13 August 2010

Sweet Chicken Casserole

One thing me and Fran like to do is make batches of meals to take to work.  Fran normally makes soup whereas I choose manly things like casseroles.  No doubt Fran will attempt to inspire you with some of her creations but I thought I would share a simple casserole that I have made this morning purely for freezing.

The idea came from a fish dish that I changed into a chicken casserole.  Often when I make things spontaneously they turn into a casserole!!  I have also done this Gluten-Free so Fran can steal some too if she fancies:

 Sweet Chicken Casserole

The molasses and soy give it an interesting twist to the usual casserole flavour.

Prep 10 mins Cook 2.5 hrs


Ingredients

6 Chicken Thigh Fillets
3 Large Salad Tomatoes Chopped
1 Large Onion Chopped
3 Medium Carrots Chopped
1 Tablespoon Oil
1 Tablespoon Molasses
1 Tablespoon Tomato Puree
1 Tablespoon Gluten-Free Soy Sauce
1 Tablespoon Dried Oregano
200 Ml Gluten-Free Chicken Stock
Black Pepper to season

Method
Preheat oven to 180 Degrees C
Oil in pan
Brown the chicken in a heavy based oven-proof pan and set aside
Fry onions in the juices for 5 mins then add mollasses
Allow onions to caramelise in the molasses a little then add tomato puree
Cook for 5 mins then add chopped tomatoes, soy sauce and oregano
Cook for a further 5 mins then add carrots and combine
Return the chicken to the pan and season
Add stock and bring to the boil

Put in oven for 2 hours

Enjoy

Note: the chicken will fall apart a little so does not need to be 6 portions - serves 4 hungry people like me - or 6 people with veg and potatoes.



No comments:

Post a Comment