Saturday 28 August 2010

Chicken and Sweet Potato Curry

A few weeks ago I made a really nice beef and sweet potato curry from a recipe I found on the internet.  For some reason I thought we'd had chicken which was the reason I couldn't find the recipe this time.  No problem as I could remember the basics so decided to have a bash myself but use chicken instead of beef.  Now in this I do use Pataks Rogan Josh paste but I think of it as an ingredient in its own right so do not see it as cheating.  Also, it seems that it is gluten-free which is a bonus.

Chicken and Sweet Potato Curry
I think I may have changed the cooking method slightly and used tomatoes too which weren't in the original recipe.  Anyway, I cooked it last night and it was delicious so thought I would share it with you.

You will need:

1 Tablespoon of Oil
6 Chicken Thigh Fillets
300g Sweet Potatoes (chopped into 1 inch cubes)
500g Tomatoes (Chopped)
2 Medium Onions (Chopped)
5cm Chunk of Ginger (Peeled)
4 Cloves of Garlic
1 Chilli (leave seeds for a bit of heat)
3 Tablespoons Rogan Josh Curry Paste
1 can of Coconut Milk
25g Chopped Corriander
Juice of 1 Lime

Method:

Heat the oil and cook the onions till softened
Blitz the ginger, garlic and chilli in a mini chopper with a bit of oil and add to the onion
Cook for 5 mins more
Add the curry paste and cook for 5 mins
Add the chicken and cook until browned and coated in paste and flavours
Add the tomatoes and stir through 



Add the coconut milk, cover and simmer for 1 hour stirring occasionally

 

Add the sweet potato and half the corriander and cook for a further 15 minutes
Add lime juice and serve garnished with the rest of the corriander


 

The proportions would serve 4 hungry people or 6 with a side dish perhaps.  Fran tells me it was yummy and I happen to agree with her.  We tasted it midway and would say that the lime juice is the killer ingredient as we felt the dish was missing something before it was added. 


No comments:

Post a Comment